National Seminar Applications
National Seminar delegates will be chosen on the basis of written applications. Applications are out and due September 15th. The OSDU contact person for this process is Grace Nolan (see our contact page).
Why join OSDU?
OSDU is the only province-wide, bilingual debating organization dedicated to increasing participation and achievement in highschool debate. We run our own tournaments but also act as a hub for all debating activity in Ontario. By joining OSDU, your school can:
- Attend all regional tournaments sponsored by OSDU and try to qualify for the annual Provincial Championship. The Provincial Championship is the only tournament that guarantees representation from every debating region in the province and combines a weekend of organized activities with competitive debate. The top teams at the Provincial Championship go on to compete at the National Championship.
- Compete for the chance to represent Ontario at competitive national events, such as the Oxford Cup and the Team Canada Tryout.
- Participate in the Junior Provincial Championship, which offers a chance for debaters in Grades 6-9 to learn debate and get a head start on highschool competition. The top debaters at the Junior Championship go on to the National Seminar, a weeklong social and educational experience for students across Canada.
- Participate in French and bilingual debating, which is not offered by any other organization.
- Access workshops, materials, and the support of our dedicated Board of Directors and regional coordinators.
- Support a registered charity that is dedicated exclusively to the promotion of debate.
OSDU tries to make debating as accessible as possible to all interested students. We encompass all schools and school boards, from private and public to French and Catholic, and coordinate with other debating organizations and clubs to share information and maximize the opportunity for student debate.
Where does the registration fee go?
Because OSDU is a not-for-profit organization run entirely by volunteers, membership fees are essential for supporting our basic operating costs. Your nominal registration fee helps to pay for our Board of Directors meetings and the travel of OSDU volunteers to and from tournaments. Individual tournaments still charge small team fees to cover the costs of food and supplies used at the tournament. Collecting our membership fees every fall ensures that we can plan for an exciting year of debate.
View in: French